Friday, April 15, 2011

Great Depression Cooking

A friend of mine introduced me to this adorable lady's cooking show on youtube, and I am in love. I thought I'd switch things up tonight, and cook one of her recipes.




How cute is she?! I love her story about roller skating.

So for these fried mushrooms, you will need:
mushrooms
an onion-- I found an old one, but not as old as Clara('s)
some vegetable oil
tomato sauce
s+p

and I am adding:
fresh basil
a little garlic
crushed red pepper
more tomato sauce

No measurements. She is a cook after my own heart: "Use your common sense. I don't measure nothin'."








I love recipes with less than a couple ingredients. Italian cooking does that really well. Flavors don't have to fight with each other... And as simple as this is to make, I bet Clara's is so much better.

Some exciting things have been happening in FeDishland!

1. Sanne attended the Cupcake Camp this week! She'll be giving you her much-awaitied Coconut-Pineapple cupcakes very very soon! (maybe tomorrow?)

2. My friend Eileen (aka The Wine Goddess of Cambridge) and I have been talking about joining forces. Hopefully we'll have some details regarding a FeDish treat + wine pairing for you soon!

3. Finally, a new question for you. I'm looking into getting some business cards made. I'd like to come up with some titles for Sanne and myself. Essentially, a clever way to say "the cook" and "the baker". Any ideas?

and since we both write in the first person, I'll be signing my posts...
-m

2 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, she's so cute! I love the little face she did after she tried the mushrooms. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's just as cute as a button...reminds me so much of Nany McKenzie. She used to cut up things in her hand, rather than using a cutting board and she stirred things slowly like that too. Don't you just love her kitchen and all the doo-dads and radio, etc.. oh yeah, and the owl!!

    ReplyDelete