Monday, April 18, 2011

Boston Cupcake Camp 2011

Recently, I attended something called Cupcake Camp. It's a gathering of professional and amateur bakers to share and eat cupcakes. It happens worldwide and Boston participated this past week. I attended and brought my own cupcakes to share. I previously posted about making dried pineapple flowers and coconut cupcakes and that's what I made for this event. The recipe is at the end of the post.

It was so much fun! So many different kinds of cupcakes and so many fun people (bakers and eaters). If there's a cupcake event happening near you, I highly suggest you get involved. Bake something (don't worry, you can be an amateur) or simply attend and eat your heart out. I recommend bringing a friend. In theory, you might think you want to eat a dozen cupcakes all by yourself but in reality you really want to share them. You are still both assured a proper sugar coma when sharing.

However, there are always a few that you don't want to share. My favorite of the night was the Strawberry Margarita cupcake by Cupcake Mojo. Words fail me when I try to properly describe it. It tasted like I was actually drinking a Strawberry Margarita. It was as close to perfect in a cupcake that I've ever tasted.

Here are some photos from the event that I took throughout the night.


My little set up. Handmade sign made by Mandi. The amateur bakers were spread out around the outside walls.
So cute!

Maple Bacon Brittle topped variety...

Yes and they were good. 

as far as the eye can see...

Banana with a honey crumble and other deliciousness I am forgetting.

These were vegan and you wouldn't know it. Lemon with blueberry mousse inside. Sooo good and beautiful.



What if cupcakes grew on trees?

The professionals setting up in the center ring.

Earl grey goodness cupcakes. 

To the left were Nutella frosted...both knockouts. 

our first round. (don't judge)

The crowds starting to gather.

not an uncommon sight.

second round. (I swear I was taking a few to a friend who graciously let me borrow her car in the rainy weather to set up.)

There was even a station you could choose your own cupcake, icing, and toppings. Just like Coldstone.

We left at 830pm. (All my cupcakes were gone by 8.) It started at 7pm and this was the line when we left. Get there early!

Here's the recipe for the coconut cupcakes I made:
(This makes about 32 cupcakes give or take a few)

2 c. sugar
3 sticks of butter (room temp)
5 large eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp almond extract
3 c. flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 c. buttermilk
14 oz. shredded coconut

For the frosting:
16 oz cream cheese (room temp)
3 sticks butter (room temp)
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 almond extract
powdered sugar to taste

Cream butter and sugar together for about 5 minutes. (this makes it so light and fluffy) Add eggs one at a time mixing well and scraping sides of the bowl between each. Add vanilla and and almond. Mix well.

Sift together flour, salt, baking powder and soda in separate bowl. Add the dry ingredients and buttermilk to creamed mixture, alternating beginning and ending with dry ingredients. Fold in the coconut.

Oven at 325 and bake 25-35 minutes. Mine cooked closer to 25 minutes. Allow them to cool in their pans for 10 or 15 minutes. They are really delicate when fresh out. You can put them on a cooling rack after that to fully cool.

Cream cheese frosting is one of my favorite things to make. I like it just sweet enough. It's easy to over do so it's better to add a little and then taste before going all in with the sugar. Butter and cream cheese first, then the extracts, then the powdered sugar. You can use a piping bag or just slather on with a spatula. I sprinkled with leftover coconut and topped with the pineapple flowers.

What's your favorite cupcake? Do you have any ingredient-combination challenges you would like to throw my way?

-Sanne

No comments:

Post a Comment