Friday, April 22, 2011

Good Friday Fish

Tonight we had a typical Good Friday dinner... fish! I don't know why, but I always forget about fish. Maybe its because we're such a chicken nation. Sad, because fish is so good! 

I found this recipe in delicious magazine. It's easy, but sooo good. This recipe called for potatoes, red onions, tarragon, parsley, white fish and lemon. We didn't have potatoes, and honestly, I'm glad. Roasted potatoes remind me of winter. And I want no part of that, thankyouverymuch.

First, cut up some onions. I used red and yellow, and sautéed them in some olive oil for a little over 5 minutes on low heat. I added some crushed garlic and cooked just until everything started to smell. Then, I cut up a few tomatoes, and tossed them with the onions in some olive oil. Add some salt and pepper, chopped parsley, oregano and maybe a little basil. Slice white fish into personal portions and place on top. Tilapia was on sale this week, so that's what I used. I squeezed a little lemon juice on top of everything, added a few pats of butter on top of the fish and put it in the oven.


Roast at 350 for about 15 minutes. After that, I broiled it for another 15, just because I always broil fish. Maybe it's an OCD thing (I might have a touch of that, too), but I don't feel like fish is done until it has broiled.




Oh my goodness, it was good. We had it along with Sanne's broccoli salad, which was also amazing. I'll let her tell you about that tomorrow. Roasted fish with vegetables, broccoli salad and Rosemount Merlot makes for a good dinner. I tell you, you have to be very talented to mess up fish and veggies.



Throw in this week's Parks & Rec and Modern Family, and you've got yourself a perfect Friday night, if I do say so myself. Especially if this week sucked for you (which reminds me, vote in our new poll in the sidebar-->)

...brought to you by April showers (buh-dum, chhhh)

After dinner and primetime TV, we decided to dye some eggs. As I mentioned before, I have had many a Greek Easter. So the last couple of years, my Easter eggs are red.

























 I may be off base here, but I am going to tell you about hard-boiling eggs. I couldn't remember the proper way, with all the rules and etiquette and what-not, so Sanne googled it. Here you go:

Cover eggs with 1-2 inches of cold water. Slowly bring to a boil. When it starts boiling, take the pot off heat and cover. Let sit on low heat for 1 minute. Leave the cover on, turn off heat and let it sit for another 10-20 minutes. If you're doing a large batch, you can sacrifice an egg to find out if they're done. If you aren't into taking risks, just let them sit a little longer. Now for the fun part...

Sanne and I were talking about natural dyes. We used food coloring tonight, but I have been seeing a lot of egg-dying using colors found in nature. Coffee, beets, cabbage, turmeric, and maybe even chili pepper can all be used to dye eggs naturally. Just substitute for the food coloring, with the usual warm water and vinegar ratio, and you're good to go! 






Be sure to check back after Sunday to see our Resurrection Day feast! Happy Holy Week, and Christos Anesti, y'all!


m

No comments:

Post a Comment