Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Tiramisu


If you are my friend and live close to me, I will make (or at least attempt to make) your favorite dessert on your birthday. Mandi requested Tiramisu last year for her birthday. It was the first time I made tiramisu. It turned out really well. I recently made it again and it wasn't as good. I used different lady fingers the second time. They were too soft and didn't hold the coffee/liquor, so it made the whole thing a little less solid than I hoped. The taste was still delicious however. I'll share with you what I did the first time, since it was the better of the experiences. These are also photos from the first go around last September.

Ingredients:
4 eggs
1/4 c rum
1/2lb mascarpone cheese
1/2 c heavy cream
1/3 c sugar
a package of stella d'ore margarite cookies
2 oz dark chocolate
some cocoa powder
2 double shot of espresso
1/2 c. strongly brewed coffee at room temp

most of the ingredient, save the espresso

Egg whites

You start by beating the egg whites until soft but stiff peaks form. Set aside.


In another bowl combine egg yolks, sugar and mascarpone cheese

In another bowl, whip heavy cream until you have whipped cream. Sorry, no photo of that.

Combine, gently folding the whipped cream with the egg yolks-mascarpone mixture, then the egg whites.

Soak the lady fingers in a bath of brandy or rum, vanilla, and room temp espresso.

Layer beginning with the lady fingers at the bottom, then half the mixture, sifted cocoa powder, another layer of lady fingers and finally the rest of the mixture topped with sifted cocoa and or shaved chocolate pieces.



I recommend using sturdy, crunchier lady fingers opposed to the softer kind. The crunchier ones absorb and hold onto the espresso and rum better.

It was easier than I thought it was going to be. It's definitely something that needs your full attention but don't let the multiple bowls sway you. Tiramisu makes any day better.

What is your favorite dessert to have on your birthday? If you're lucky and I am close enough, I may just make it for you!

1 comment:

  1. that looks so yummy! I will definately have to try this one out!

    ReplyDelete