Wednesday, February 23, 2011

"Pasta Puttanesca. It means 'very few ingredients.'"*

That quote is from a movie. Name that movie.

This is a recipe that I got from a very early issue of Domino magazine (RIP). I've since doctored it up a bit and, in my opinion, improved it. Here it is, with a few extra ingredients:


1lb. spaghetti (alas, we had none but made do with penne)
6 plum tomatoes, chopped
1/2c pitted chopped black or kalamata olives
1t crushed red pepper
1T or so capers, drained
4 sprigs fresh parsley, stems removed and chopped
2 sprigs fresh oregano, stems removed and chopped
1/2lb hot sausage cooked and drained
s+p to taste


Gone but not forgotten


but first:
crush or half 4 garlic cloves and let sit in
1/4c olive oil
set aside















Cook pasta according to package directions

Combine tomatoes, olives, parsley, oregano, red pepper, capers. Remove garlic, add oil to bowl. Add drained spaghetti and sausage. Toss well. Serve immediately.





If you like Italian food and you like spice and you like Jimmy Dean, then this is the Holy Trifecta. Its even better the next day. Don't you love recipes that do that?

*FYI: After a little internet research, I found that Pasta Puttanesca does not actually mean 'very few ingredients.' If fact, it roughly translates to "whore's pasta." It is called this because it is made up of "leftovers" that were quick and easy for the "Puttanas" to throw together in between clients. And that's your history lesson for today. You're welcome!

6 comments:

  1. Series of Unfortunate Events!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this looks soooooo grood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. this looks so good and easy to make because I usually have those ingred on hand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This reminds me of the pasta we made at our apt that one time with the really good playlist. Remember? Remember??

    ReplyDelete
  5. How could I forget? That was the best playlist of my life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes I know it!! its Pasta.. Pasta Puttanesca, thats Italian food for a Pasta with a very few ingidients... I know who said it.. Klaus Baudelaire in LEMONY SNICKETS A SERIES OF UNFORTUNATE EVENTS MOVIE.. but I don't know if it's really few Ingredients.. I want to know if its real, I want to learn how to cook it.. and i really want to learn how to cook especially Korean and Japanese cuisine although I don't cook, just buy canned goods

    ReplyDelete