Sunday, December 19, 2010

Need to gain a quick 5lbs? I can help!

I'm not gonna lie, I got this next recipe from an ad in a magazine. But it is absolutely my favorite thing. I've made it twice already and I'm going to make it at least one more time before the holidays are over. It's super easy to make. It's also very pretty. If you need to bring an impressive appetizer for a Christmas party, look no further. Without further ado, I present....


Baked Brie Surprise!!!  (I just invented that name, just now)

You will need:
1 box pastry sheets (2 in a box)
1 pint raspberries
some rosemary, chopped
1/3 cup toasted pecans (make sure they are peee-cans, not puh-cans.)
1/4 cup honey
a wheel of brie
1 egg

My apologies for limited pictures...


First, soak the raspberries in about 1/2 cup hot water for a minute or two, until softened. Drain completely and pat dry. *Note: The recipe actually called for cherries. But, I am allergic. So I did raspberries instead. Cherries might actually make a thicker mixture. So you might want to try them. Or blueberries, whatever. It's your life.
Mix with toasted pecans, honey and rosemary.

Lay 1 sheet pastry on lightly floured surface.  Carefully put mixture on center of pastry sheet.

Place brie on top, wrap like a present!

Carefully turn over, seam side down onto greased pan. This way all the goodies are on top when you cut into it. If you REALLY want to impress people, cut some circles from the second pastry sheet and form them into flowers. You could also cut shapes with Christmas cookie cutters.



Brush the outside with egg.


Bake at 400 for 20-25 minutes. Let stand for about 30 minutes. Serve with crackers.




This recipe is perfect for experimenting with different fruits and nuts. Our friend Elizabeth made a variation with dried apricots, walnuts, cranberries and honey. You really can't go wrong with a big ol' hunk of cheese.


What are your favorite holiday party foods? Have you guys tried any of the recipes we've posted yet? If so, tell us how they turned out! 

1 comment:

  1. i make something similar too and it IS TO DIE FOR!! but 5 lbs? try 15. i should know. i eat the entire thing whenever i find it.

    ReplyDelete