Monday, January 16, 2012

sushi and slobbages

My Christmas vacation felt especially long this year. I think it probably had something to do with the fact that I had a hand in 4+ parties. I gave you a glimpse at a couple of them, and intended on moving on from there. But then I went back and looked at all the pictures and decided that there is no way I can't share them, even if they are crappy cell phone pictures.

My sister's birthday is right after Christmas, and I wanted to do something different and special for her this year. So I bought her some sushi-making tools, and my mom and I put together a menu and went to the grocery store. We decided to make lettuce wraps, stir fry and salmon and crab sushi. I had done this once before, so I was somewhat confident in my sushi-making ability. This tricky part is the rice. But with my $22 rice cooker I scored on Amazon, we were all set.

The lettuce wrap recipe I found claimed to be P.F. Chang's, and they might have been telling the truth. It was pretty good, and super easy.

you will need:
3 tablespoons oil
2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 cup water chestnut
2/3 cup mushroom
3 tablespoons chopped onions
1 teaspoon minced garlic
4 -5 leaves iceberg lettuce

*Because it is physically impossible for me to follow a recipe precisely, I omitted the mushrooms and added bean sprouts toward the end.

sauce:
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon rice wine vinegar

Directions:


Bring oil to high heat in a wok or large frying pan.
Saute chicken breasts for 4 to 5 minutes per side or done.
Remove chicken from the pan and cool.
Keep oil in the pan, keep hot.
As chicken cools mince water chestnuts and mushrooms to about the size of small peas.
Prepare the stir fry sauce by mixing the soy sauce, brown sugar, and rice vinegar together in a small bowl.
When chicken is cool, mince it as the mushrooms and water chestnuts are.
With the pan still on high heat, add another Tbsp of vegetable oil.
Add chicken, garlic, onions, water chestnuts and mushrooms to the pan.
Add the stir fry sauce to the pan and saute the mixture for a couple minutes then serve it in the lettuce cups

We also made some of P.F. Chang's "special sauce" by mixing red chili paste (which I will forevermore keep in my pantry, it was so good!) with soy sauce.


I will definitely be making these again. Chinese New Year, anyone?
I don't feel like I need to give instructions on the sushi, except to say that if you want to try this on your own, buy a rice cooker!


momsie

birthday girl
sushi spread

Happy B-Day, middle sis!

The last soiree was a Roald Dahl-themed baby shower for my nearest and dearest Madaline, who is expecting twin boys any second now. It was a very small group of very close friends, which was perfect. Everyone brought something appropriately named, and we just sat around and talked and showered our Mad Dog with gifts and food and love.  I looked through some Revolting Recipes and decided to make some Plushnuggets and, of course, Bruce Bogtrotter's Cake. We also had Snozzcumbers, Glob Gobblers, Purple Slobbages, and even some of Augustus Gloop's Favorite Goop!

I've never made Plushnuggets before... have you? They were pretty tasty!
In a bowl, mix 2 mashed bananas, 2T maple syrup, 1T olive oil, and, just for the heck of it, I added a dash of cinnamon.

Cut 3 inch circles from a pastry sheet. I didn't have a pastry/biscuit cutter, so I used a drinking glass. I use a drinking glass to cut holes in my toast, too. Maybe I should invest in a pastry cutter?

Fill the center of each circle with a tiny spoonful of the banana mixture and pinch closed.

cute lil bundle
Brush with egg wash and bake at 400 for about 10 minutes.
Ta-da! Plushnuggets!

These guys are good for breakfast, too.


Augustus Gloop's Favorite Goop was a yummy spinach artichoke dish from Lindsay, Glob Gobblers was Maro's turkey and stuffing, and Purple Slobbages was apple cider cabbage. Other Lindsay and Sara brought Snozzcumbers (from The BFG). Everything was Dahl-icious! (budum chhhhh) There is a picture of all of us at the shower floating around. When I get it, I'll add it here, so check back!
In other news, say hello to our new roommate, Shamus!



m

No comments:

Post a Comment