Sunday, October 2, 2011

You don't scare me, 29

Okay, maybe a little bit...

For my second annual birthday in New York, my good friends Lindsay and Ansley bussed over and flew up, respectively, and the three of us galavanted about New York city for the weekend. We shopped a lot, saw a show (I saw two), met some interesting characters, and of course, ate some good food.

we scored some majorly discounted theater tickets in TS

The concierge recommended a restaurant near the theater that wasn't too tourist-y, had a great atmosphere and delicious drinks, so we decided to check it out. As far as drinks and decor went, it was spot-on. Unfortunately, we went before the show instead of after (we were exhausted and starved from a full day of galavanting), that there were maybe two other tables seated. We are grannies. Oh well.


But the place was very cool. In case you can't tell from this picture, those are hundreds of white antlers on the ceiling...


...trees in the walls...


... and a "fire" in the bar.


Ansley got the salmon.

Add caption
Lindsay and I had steak. Steak is birthday food. Growing up, I would always request steak and bakes potato for my birthday dinner. Always. Plus my mom's legendary chocolate cake, obvs.


light fixture outside the loo
 There was this cool corridor with private tables behind curtains.


After dinner, we saw Avenue Q. SO hilarious! And after the show we walked down to Magnolia for some cupcakes and sat by the fountain outside Radio City Music Hall. It was the season premiere of SNL, so all weekend I was hoping to have a comedian celeb siting. No dice. (However, a couple years ago I saw Amy Poehler and Will Arnett in Greenwich Village, so I guess I'm all set.)

God I love those cupcakes.



new shoes all around.
Amazingly enough, we didn't see any cabs, so Lindsay hailed a rickshaw, which was pretty hilarious. Until he took us to the wrong hotel.



When we finally got back to the hotel, we went to the bar and had cocktails, compliments of our friend the concierge. While we were there, we got into an awkward conversation with a man who turned out to be a movie producer and he kidnapped and murdered us invited us to a rooftop bar around the corner. We somehow lost him once we got there, but it turned out to be a hoppin' place with an amazing view of the city. So we had some champagne. It was one of those movie moments. BTW, the next day we googled Mr. Producer, and he's legit. He worked on Slingblade and a recent movie with Clive Owen and Helen Mirren (which I'm blanking on the name), among others. 




And that's how I spent my birthday in New York. The end.

I'm going back this weekend with Madaline and her family, any suggestions? What are your favorite (non-tourist-y) things to do in the city?
m

No comments:

Post a Comment