Thursday, July 7, 2011

I Got Chills!

I swung by Cardullo's on my way home from work tonight for their Tempt Me Thursday Tasting, and I must say, Eileen may have outdone herself.

As she was listening to the Grease soundtrack today (which is surprising, I didn't think her radio has ever played anything except country), she got inspired to make a chilled soup (you get it?-- "I got chills!"). Though she had never made soup before, she "whipped up" a Carrot and Cilantro chilled concoction in about half an hour, brought it to the shop and found for it the perfect wine and cheese pairings.



Here's what she did:

shred about 5 bags of "really good" carrots, sauté with some Irish butter and shallots. Add a little chicken stock and chopped cilantro. Salt & pepper to taste. Adjust seasoning to your liking. Blend and cool. Garnish with shredded carrot and gouda. 

I've never been too interested in gazpachos, or any soups in the summer. But guys, this was good. Like, really good. I'm going to make it for myself sometime. And when I do, I'll be sure to pick up one of Eileen's perfect pairings...


Eileen wanted something green and herbal to go with the crispy freshness of the carrot-cilantro soup, so she served a Sauvignon Blanc from New Zealand. Sauvignon Blancs are a favorite of mine, and this one is excellent. It's a little dryer and bolder than what I'm used to, in a good way. And it balanced out the soup and cheeses nicely.

And for the beer-drinkers: a Belgian White, also from New Zealand. I loved this one. It had "fairly aggressive hops" and a super cute label. ;)

the label has unicorns and other woodland creatures on it :)


Also for tasting: Beemster Vlaskass and Beemster XO. Both aged goudas are delicious with the wine or beer. 


happy tasters
Eileen does tasting every Thursday from 5:30-7:30pm. If you haven't been yet, you are missing out. I hope she doesn't get mad at me for saying this, and I mean it in the best way possible, but Eileen is kind of a big nerd when it comes to food. Of course, that's just the pot calling the kettle black. She loves to chat people up about pairings, recipe ideas, eating local & organic, etc. I always get great ideas when I go. In fact, I'm stopping back by tomorrow to pick up some gouda and beer for myself!

m

1 comment: