Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Ahh Home. Let me go ho-oh-ome...

Sanne and I had this meal on our list for a while now, and I'm really glad we got around to it. I actually started thinking about it at work, and realizing that I was going to be homesick at dinnertime that evening. 

I don't know about you guys, but growing up, there were a handful of meals that my mom had in rotation. I don't remember her being particularly experimental in the kitchen when I was younger. Then again, my sisters and I were never picky eaters, so she could've been and we certainly wouldn't have complained...

Sunday night, I marinated some chicken legs in some barbecue sauce...



stained-glass chicken


I let that marinate over night in the refrigerator, covered, of course.

So, with the barbecue chicken meal, you have to have macaroni and cheese. I didn't have Sharp Cheddar, which is what my mom always used. But the basic recipe is this:

2c dry macaroni
2T melted butter
3c milk
1 egg
s+p, to taste
1lb sharp cheddar cheese
paprika, sprinkled on top


Cook and drain pasta. Mix with the rest of the ingredients, and bake in a 9 x13 pan at 350 for 1 hour. I halved the recipe. I used Mexican cheese, and added some chopped mushrooms and onions. Also, I'm trying to buy only wheat pasta, since its healthier. This is why my pasta dishes are browner than they used to be. :)


As for the chicken, I covered it with tin foil and cooked it for about 45 minutes. Then I removed the foil, drained some of the juices, added a little more sauce and cooked it for another 45 minutes. Holy crow, it smells amazing. Like my childhood. 



Of course, you have chicken and a starch, you have to have a couple more vegetables. And one of them HAS to be green. Sanne sauteed some broccoli in garlic and olive oil. Perfect.


And we had a few more lady-sized corns leftover, which rounded out this summer supper beautifully. As my mom would say... Actually, I'll let her say it in the comments. What do you think, mom?


What meal reminds you of home?

m

post script... we added "reactions" below... try it!

4 comments:

  1. I can't believe you gave away our secret mac n cheese family recipe!!! I remember one time we made dinner for one of your friends and he was making fun of us for having a meat, a starch, and a veggie. I don't know why, I thought it was normal….Anyways, good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That IS a normal meal, Katie...AND notice how colorful it is as well. Yes, that corn does actually round out your summer super beautifully. The meal that reminds me of home is walking in the door from church on Sunday and smelling a roast in the oven. Of course you have to have homemade mashed potatoes, a green vegetable and what else but a congealed salad to round it out beautifully! Great post and wish you were home!

    ReplyDelete