Saturday, March 10, 2012

turning a new [cabbage] leaf

I'm trying to remember the last time I ate a brussels sprout, and I can't. Its been at least 15 years, and I  didn't like them. So imagine my surprise when all week long, I kept coming across recipes featuring these nasty little cabbages, and wasn't repulsed. I was curious.



I don't like not liking foods. I pride myself on being open to new experiences and foods; not being a picky eater. That's when I decided to face my childhood aversion to these shrunken-head-looking vegetables


I had to do a little research, because I not only hadn't the foggiest idea what to do with them, but I wanted my first experience with them in over a decade to be the most pleasant one possible.

So, I washed and quartered about 2lbs (not all for me, of course, there was a dinner party...), and sauteed them in olive oil and butter. I added some red pepper flakes as seen in this recipe, and some diced chorizo, for a kick.


I thought a side salad would be a little too much green, so Elizabeth put together a caprese salad.


flowers from Kasia <3

And Kasia took care of the fish. I bought some salmon, which we baked for about 6-8 minutes at 400 degrees. Then, she covered it in a sauce of 1/4c whole grain mustard, 2T olive oil and minced chives and broiled it for another 10 minutes or so, until the fish was done and the mustard mixture made a nice crust.


And Ann's mother sent some baked egg pastries and kingfish coquettes, which were ahh-mazing.


Made complete by a delicious Savignon Blanc, crusty french bread for soaking soak up all the remnants, loud music and old friends.



...and new friends.


After dinner, while I baked mocha brownies (boxed, don't judge), Kasia whipped up that gorgeous ganache from last weekend. After what seemed like an eternity, the brownies were ready, so we topped them with the ganache, let it set for a bit and then scarfed them down with some espresso. I don't think I need to tell you that this was the most delicious thing I have eaten since last Saturday.



Oh, and the brussels sprouts... I liked them a lot. I might even make them again. So there. I bested you, sprouts!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go eat a brownie for breakfast, and I'd like to see one of you try to stop me.

m

5 comments:

  1. Here's another recipe for brussels sprouts that y'all might enjoy should you try them again!

    Sauteed Brussels Sprouts over Quinoa

    2 tbs. hazelnuts, chopped (or walnuts)
    1 cup quinoa (cook it according to the package directions)
    8 oz brussels sprouts
    2 tbs olive oil
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    crumbled feta cheese, to taste
    2 tsp grated fresh lemon zest (plus more lemon juice, to taste)

    1. Preheat oven to 350F. Toast nuts until light brown, shaking pan occasionally.
    2. Cook Quinoa according to package directions
    3. Meanwhile, peel/chop brussel sprouts
    4. Heat oil in skillet over medium-high heat. Saute brussels sprouts and garlic leaves 5 minutes.
    5. Toss with quinoa, nuts, feta, and lemon zest. Season with salt & pepper.

    Enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh, thanks! I'll definitely try this.
    m

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I believe you… brussels sprouts? really??

    and btw I just learned that brussels is with an "s"...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did too! I never knew about that extra 's'. You always liked cabbage, which I thought was crazy. So maybe you will like brusssssellsssss sprouts?

    ReplyDelete