Tuesday, November 1, 2011

potatoes and leeks: the pizza

When I braved the wind and snow (?!) and trekked out to the grocery store on Saturday, I was feeling cold and wet just gross. So I filled my cart with not only what we needed for our stuffing, but also a lot of produce that would make a nice hearty soup. I intended to make a potato leek soup, but on my way to checkout, I spotted this flatbread and had an idea. Well to be fair, I remembered an idea that I had seen somewhere else, but it's more or less the same thing, right?

Pioneer Woman Potato Leek Pizza

you'll need:
pizza crust or flatbread
6 slices thick-cut bacon
1-2 leeks
potatoes 
cheese


First, preheat the oven to 500. I know it's high, but potatoes are tricksy. Start cooking your bacon. Cook until almost done, set aside. Dump bacon grease but don't clean the  pan.



Next, chop a few leeks and sauté until tender, about 3 minutes. I used the leafy-end; it was still good.




(and it made a great sound when chopped)



Slice potatoes very thin, enough to cover your flatbread so that they are barely overlapping. Season with sea salt. Cover with grated cheese. PW uses mozzarella and goat, we used cheddar and a bit of parmesan.


Then sprinkle with leeks and bacon. Bake for about 8-10 minutes.





Ta-da! It's your new favorite pizza!
Yeah, this one definitely made the rotation. 
How about you? Any non-traditional pizzas you love?
m

No comments:

Post a Comment