Sunday, November 20, 2011

make-aheads, part 1

Sanne was recently gifted a turkey carcass (I know, we all should have friends as nice as hers...). This was very exciting news to me, because although I have had very little time to plan our menu, I have had it in mind that I want to make gravy from scratch, turkey stock and all. Bon Appetit had a step-by-step in their Thanksgiving issue this year, so I set aside a few hours today to make the do-ahead stock for Thursday's meal.

Alls you have to do is cover a carcass with about a gallon of water, bring it to a boil, and then let it simmer for about 3 hours, occasionally skimming the fat...






Then you drain the stock into a sauce pan, and boil it for another hour. Measure out what you'll need for the gravy of Thursday and freeze the rest. Easy! Mmm, and it smells like my Granny & Pop's house during the holidays.



Tonight, we finished up our Thanksgiving shopping. Wednesday night we will make-ahead our desserts!   How are you (or are you?) preparing for Thanksgiving?
What should we name our turkey this year? Sanne says Kevin, I think he looks kind of like a Buster...
m

2 comments: