Saturday, December 3, 2011

leftovers, pot pie style

I've been wanting to make a pot pie for a while now, and now I finally have my chance! Pounds and pounds of leftover turkey in the fridge, begging to be mixed with other various leftovers and covered with pastry. It's the weekend, which means Susie is over, so he helped me out with this one.

I browsed the web for some recipes and drew from several different ones. Here's what I landed on:
roughly...
1 1/2c shredded turkey
3/4c chopped crimini mushrooms
frozen peas
1 chopped onion
2-3T butter
1/2c leftover gravy
1 splash milk
1c or so leftover thanksgiving vegetables
s+p
pastry of some sort. I had a pastry sheet like the one I used for my baked brie, but I would've used crescent rolls, too.

The first step is to sauté mushrooms and onions in butter.



Then, I added the peas and then gravy. I had probably 1/4c of that leftover. The recipes I found called for things like 6T butter or a cup or so of heated milk or, God forbid, a can of mushroom soup. I decided to use gravy as my liquid, and then added a splash of milk at the end until I got to a consistency I was comfortable with.


Then add some Thanksgiving vegetables. I used Sanne's roasted root veggies with harvest grains. Next, add the turkey.




Then, spoon the mixture into a 9" pie dish, or a few individual dishes.


...cover with pastry and pinch edges. Be sure to cut a few slits for the moisture to escape. Bake for 30-35 minutes at 400 degrees.




I'de never made a pot pie before, of any kind. This was pretty easy, and since I already had everything I needed on hand, I didn't have to make any extra trips to the store. I think this might be a new week-after-Thanksgiving tradition.




Mmmm. Pot pie, Sam Adams and the Muppets. I am a very happy person right now.

Merry Christmastime! Tomorrow, Sanne will give you a bread recipe using some more leftovers, we'll show you our Christmas tree/decorations and I'll hopefully put a dent in my two 10-page papers that I haven't started yet...

I still want to see/ hear about your leftovers recipes. I've heard talk of a cornish game hen pot pie on Facebook that I'm dying to see, but I'm also interested in a fresh take on turkey sandwiches. Come on, people! Send them our way! fedishblog@gmail.com

m

3 comments:

  1. That looks yummy, especially in those cute ramekins. I like the alternative to mushroom
    Soup, which has MSG, which also can attribute to migraines-FYI. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read this post this morning and it inspired me to make a chicken pot pie tonight. Nom nom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh man, it was so good, I'll probably make another one later this week...

    ReplyDelete