Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Southern/Southern Indian Party

In case you are just tuning in, I am in the process of moving back to Florida. I have a to-do list on my wall with all the things I need to get done before I go: call Goodwill, finish my book review, renew my passport... and at the bottom, a few of the fun things that I want to do in Boston over the next few weeks. Near the top of the list is to have my friend SusieGee cook dinner at my house. Friday night, I got my wish! Susie made a delicious pink slime beef curry and potato cutlets. I decided to make some Southern favorites to go with.

The curry had the usual suspects: jalapeno, red onion, tomato, garlic, masala, etc.


...chili powder, red peppers, and ground beef. And some other stuff too.


I made some stewed tomatoes with okra. One of my faaavorites growing up.


 Rajiv explains the importance of vitamin C to NJ.


For the cutlets, Susie boiled some red potatoes, skinned and mashed them and mixed them with cilantro, onion and some spicy spices.

Then, Sanne breaded them and they got fried up.

these were especially delicious for breakfast the next morning.



The cornbread, I'm told, was one of my Granny's favorite versions of this southern classic. It is:

2 boxes jiffy mix
1/4t salt
1/2 canola oil
1 8oz can cream corn
8oz sour cream
4 eggs
2t sugar

Bake in a greased 9x13" pan at 350 for 30-40 minutes.


For the tomatoes, just heat 2 cans whole or crushed tomatoes, 1lb. chopped okra, a slice or two of chopped bacon, salt and pepper over medium heat.


The fried chicken recipe can be found here.





Then we decided that we needed to compare Sanne and Rajiv's leg lengths.

Conclusion: Sanne's are shorter.




 And then we started dancing...

newest dance craze




On an unrelated note, for the past few days, this purple blanket muppet has been hanging out outside my bedroom. It makes me smile every time I see it. Who knew dirty laundry could be so entertaining? Jim Henson, that's who!


So Sunday, we had all this leftover chicken. I decided to spare my skin (and thighs) and bake it this time around. So I s+p'ed it, rolled it in some breadcrumbs and baked it at 350 for about 45 minutes.


And served it with some leftover cornbread and tomatoes and rice.



So, what else should I do before I go? More importantly, what should I eat? Are there any restaurants I have to try? 

m

No comments:

Post a Comment